The LEAP Mobile Market Manager works closely with the Food Access Manager, Food Hub Manager, Mobile Market shoppers, Mobile Market site partners, community members in the neighborhoods that the Mobile Market serves, and community partners. The Mobile Market is a community tool and resource to facilitate conversations about food, provide hands-on food education, and create space for community and health. This position is the face of LEAP in many of the communities we serve that are limited income and have low access to fresh food. This position is both retail sales and community relations – you have the opportunity and privilege to connect with people who have different lived experiences and food preferences. Mobile Market Managers must love talking with people and must be willing to work through their own internal biases to ensure that all customers feel welcome and safe. This position reports to the Food Access Manager.
- Manage the day-of operations of the Mobile Market including sales, product offerings, communications, and reporting.
- Establish and maintain strong, trusting relationships with Mobile Market customers, site hosts, community members, and other partners. Maintain clear and consistent lines of communication.
- Work with the Food Hub team to share feedback, preferences, and stories about the food available on the Mobile Market.
- Work with the Food Access Manager to improve market-related operations.
- Create a supportive and welcoming space for food eaters who have different lived experiences throughout Roanoke City and the surrounding areas.
- Work with the Food Access Manager to identify financial, maintenance, and ongoing program needs for the Mobile Market.
- Work with the Food Access Manager to collect Mobile Market customer and community member feedback on a regular basis and share relevant feedback with LEAP.
- Provide direction and support to Mobile Market volunteers and interns.
- Maintain strong lines of communication between shoppers, the Food Access Manager, and the rest of LEAP.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes
- Experience with food, community engagement, education and/or outreach across all abilities and age spans.
- Proven record in working with adults from a variety of racial, cultural, and economic backgrounds.
- Strong familiarity with Roanoke City neighborhoods is a plus.
- Detail oriented, organized, ability to multitask, and handle retail transactions.
- Ability to interact in a professional, courteous, and confidential manner with others and to function as an ambassador of LEAP.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Basic knowledge of locally grown produce and Virginia’s growing season.
- Ability to work independently as well as be a supportive team member.
- Ability to lift 40+ pounds and be on your feet all day.
- Ability to work comfortably outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- A passion for community, equity, and food.
- Bilingual and multilingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply (Spanish, Arabic).
- Part-time, seasonal position starting at the beginning of April until Thanksgiving.
- Hourly, 25-35 hours/week .
- Must be able to work full days on Thursdays, Fridays, and every other Wednesday, as well as a half day on Tuesdays.
- Pay is $14/hour.
- Eligible for PTO after 3-month probationary period.
Local Environmental Agriculture Project (LEAP) is a Roanoke-based 501c3 nonprofit. Founded in 2009, LEAP strives to nurture an equitable food and farming system that prioritizes health and abundance. LEAP programs include two farmers markets, a mobile market, an online marketplace, a farm share, a food hub, a commercial kitchen, three community gardens, and robust nutrition incentive programs. LEAP also works with community partners from across the region on initiatives that promote farm to community and food system development. LEAP is the lead organization for Virginia Fresh Match, a statewide network of markets and retail outlets that make fruits and vegetables more affordable for SNAP participants.
Please email the following to email@example.com or drop them off at The LEAP Hub at 1027 Patterson Ave. SW, Roanoke:
- A cover letter that speaks to why you are interested in this position and your experience and skills related to local food, farmers, customer service, sales, and fast-paced and detail-oriented work.
- A resume that supports your cover letter and provides your work experience related to food retail, farming, and customer service responsibilities.
Applicants will be reviewed as they are received. Position closes on March 17.
If you need assistance with the application process (cover letter and resume), please contact Kelly Key (firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-492-5311).