- Month of September: Olde Salem Brewing Company and Twisted Track Brew Pub work together to raise funds each month for a local nonprofit. In September, these breweries will each choose a beer (the Helping Hands Tap) and donate $1 every time that beer is purchased during the month. Which makes September a great time to grab a drink with friends and raise funds for LEAP! Follow LEAP's Facebook and Instagram accounts for details.
- Month of September: Have you shopped at Southwest Native? It's a jewelry and apparel boutique located online and IRL (find it at the front of Crafteria on Church Avenue downtown). During September, owner Sierra Sallah is donating $10 of every purchase of a designated item to LEAP. We love how this fundraiser encourages shoppers to buy local AND support a nonprofit in their community!
- Thursday, Sept. 1: Take your home garden up a notch by learning how to grow cover crops to improve soil health. This class will be led by Virginia Tech Cooperative Extension agent Shawn Jadrnicek and held at Morningside Urban Farm from 6:30-7:30 pm. The event is free. Click here for more information and to sign up.
- Saturday, Sept. 10: A free celebration of okra and other late season fruits and veggies will take place at Lick Run Farm (1626 10th St. NW) from 4 to 9 pm. Grandin Village Farmers Market vendor Cam Terry of Garden Variety Harvests is hosting the event, which includes food trucks, farm tours, a compost demonstration, live music, and a bonfire after dark. Find more information here.
- Saturday, Sept. 17: Don't miss Pepper Palooza! This festive Grandin Village Farmers Market will feature brunch cocktails by Crystal Spring Grocery Co. , music by Jordan Fallon, and a pepper tasting tent. Sample hot, savory, sweet, and everything in between. Join us for the community and the veggies and because it's a fun way to start your weekend! Check out our website to see other market events. GVFM runs every Saturday from 8 am to noon, behind the Roanoke Co+op through Nov. 19.
- Tuesday, Sept. 20: A farm tour and networking event sponsored by Land & Table and held at Bramble Hollow Farm in Montvale will take place from 6 to 8 pm. This evening begins with a potluck dinner, continues with a tour, and ends with sharing among farmers, community members, and others seeking food systems solutions.
- Thursday, Oct. 13: Celebrate local food and community at Morningside Urban Farm from 5:30-7:30 pm. Enjoy a free meal and family activities, all while connecting with community programs and services to empower you to live a healthier life. Registration is required to guarantee food. Rain date = Friday, Oct. 14. Click here for more information and to sign up.
Your support grows healthy communities