- 1 pound cabbage, cored, quartered, and shredded
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 small leeks, including white and green parts, washed and sliced
- 1 cup milk
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- In separate medium saucepans, cook the cabbage and the potatoes in salted boiling water for 12-15 minutes, or until tender. Drain the cabbage and chop. Drain the potatoes and mash.
- In a large saucepan, combine the leeks and milk. Bring to a simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the leeks are tender.
- Add potatoes, salt, and pepper to the leek mixture and stir over low heat until well-mixed. Add the cabbage and butter and stir again.
- Top with a few more slices of butter, or a sprinkling of parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Note: For a version using turnips, substitute 1 pound turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces, for the cabbage. Swap 1 cup buttermilk for the milk. Combine the mashed potatoes and mashed turnips. Stir in the buttermilk. Add salt and pepper and sprinkle with minced fresh chives.
Your support grows healthy communities