- Place sliced onion in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to soak for 10 minutes, then drain well.
- Place vinegar, sugar, and salt in a wide nonreactive bowl and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Cut the cucumber, lengthways into 1/4 inch thick slices. Place in the vinegar mixture.
- Cut the fennel, lengthways, into 1/4 inch thick slices. Add fennel, onion, and dill seeds to the cucumbers, tossing to coat well.
- Set aside for a minimum of 30 minutes, up to 2 hours, tossing occasionally. Stir in the fennel fronds, just before serving.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to two days. The vegetables will soften the longer they pickle.
Photo from Tesco Real Food
Recipe inspired by Torello Farm