SIGN UP FOR LEAP'S MONTHLY NEWSLETTER
1. Prepare the leeks. Trim the root ends and dark green tops off. Slice leeks in half lengthwise, then thinly slice crosswise. Place in colander and rinse thoroughly to remove dirt and grit.
2. In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, melt butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add sliced leeks to the pot and cook for another 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they become tender and fragrant.
4. Add diced potatoes to pot, then pour in broth. Bring mixture to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to low, cover the pot, and let the soup simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and can be easily mashed with a fork.
6. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth and creamy. If you don't have an immersion blender, you can carefully transfer the soup in batches to a countertop blender to puree, then return to pot.
7. Stir in cream. Season with salt and pepper. Heat the soup over low heat, stirring occasionally, for another 5-10 minutes, allowing the flavors to marry. Garnish with chopped fresh chives or parsley if desired.
Photo by Once Upon a Chef