- To prepare potatoes, scrub them clean and rinse under running water. Remove and discard any nubby sprouting areas. Place the potatoes in a large Dutch oven or soup pot.
- Fill the pot with water until potatoes are submerged and covered by 1 inch of additional water. Add 1 tablespoon salt. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat and continue cooking until the potatoes are very easily pierced with a fork (smaller potatoes are done around 20 minutes, and medium around 25 minutes).
- While the potatoes cook, preheat oven to 425 F and drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over a large, rimmed baking sheet. Brush the oil so it’s evenly distributed over the sheet.
- When the potatoes are done, drain them in a large colander and let them cool for 5 minutes.
- Evenly distribute potatoes over the prepared baking sheet. Use a potato masher or a serving fork to gently mash each potato to a height of a half-inch. (Thinner potatoes are more crispy.)
- Drizzle the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil over the smashed potatoes. Sprinkle the garlic powder, onion powder, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt over the potatoes. Sprinkle lightly with freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake until potatoes are golden on the edges, about 25 to 30 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped fresh herbs, and serve hot.
Photo and recipe from Cookie and Kate.